In the specialty of orthodontics we study, diagnose and treat those positions and function problems of the teeth and supporting structures. It is important to get a proper aesthetic but also maintain a state of optimal health through different types of apparatus as appropriate.
Types of treatments:
- FUNCTIONAL REMOVABLE APPLIANCES: They can be removed from the mouth by the patient. It allows better oral hygiene. This type of appliances are commonly used to prevent and correct bone positions such as widening the palate, jaw forward … These devices are usually the first part of orthodontic treatment.
- FIXED ORTHODONTICS: elements attached to the teeth (brackets and bands) that firmly anchored elastic arches with ligatures. Each treatment is individualized and in some cases, when there is a severe malposition and lack of space, it is necessary to do some extraction to align the teeth.
Types of Brackets:
- Metal appliances: are the most common, due to numerous studies, to their resistance and the force applied so the treatment is often shorter.
- Aesthetic appliances: it can be made of different materials like ceramics, sapphire or polycarbonate, sapphire being the most resistant and least stain, unlike ceramic brackets. However the arc must be made of metal.
- Lingual Braces: They are placed in the palatal and lingual side of the teeth, so they are not visible. The operating process is similar to traditional braces, but as a rule, they tend to have greater discomfort for the patient in terms of speech and hygiene.
- Invisible orthodontics (Invisalign®) series of plastic aligners custom-made for each patient. The aligners will progressively changing step by step to get the desired position.
The importance of the retainers:
Since the teeth and bone have memory, they tend to return to the state they were in. If you do not put a hold, they will move back to their initial position.
- Removable retention: in many cases may be higher and may vary between doctors.
- Fixed Retention (splinting): using a small wire and adhesive the teeth gets immobilized.